Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Say what?

This past Sunday was Hunter's first time at church with us.  I can't say this is his first time at church because his birthmom went to church weekly and what a blessing that was to Hunter.  He did very well and the service ended just before the "feed me now" meltdown.  This Sunday we had a church wide brunch between services to promote our community groups.  The community groups are bible study groups that meet weekly and study God's word and fellowship.  We help lead a community group that we have been part of for almost 7 years.  Our friends in our community group and other church friends are our second family.  So needless to say, this was a big day for Hunter because he got to meet many of the people who had been praying for him and us for so many years.  Something else important to note is that at these church wide brunches, there are many people that I've never  met or seen because we usually go to the early service on Sundays.  We were very excited to get back to church and show off Hunter.  Obviously all of our friends and people that we know at church, knew we were adopting.  They would stay current on all our adoption news and were thrilled to finally meet this answered prayer.  Many of the people at the brunch did not know we were adopting so I received some very interesting comments which I will share with you.

*The first thing out of everyone's mouth regardless if they knew us was "Wow! Look at all that hair!"

Now this is where it gets comical:

lady: "oh wow, how old is that baby?"
me: "2 1/2 weeks"
lady: "Do you have heartburn?"
me: "well, yes I do actually"
lady: "babies who are born with a lot of hair give their mother's heartburn and you look great by the way"
me: "thank you!  I think it must be sympathy heart burn because we adopted him."


another lady: "how cute!  That baby has a lot of hair!  How old is he?
me: "he is 2 1/2 weeks old"
lady:  "wow! You are here and looking beautiful.  What is that about?"
me: "well, we adopted him, so I did not give birth."

me: "what kind of kolachies are those?"
lady: "these are sausage and cheese and these have jalapenos.  You shouldn't have the jalapenos if you are breastfeeding."
me: "um, ok."

This one is my favorite:
man to Noel and I : "Congratulations? How old is your baby?  What is his name?"
Us: "Thank you!  He is 2 1/2 weeks old and his name is Hunter."
Man: "That's great!" 
Man to me: "The last time I saw you, you were out to here (gesturing to a large pregnant belly)"
Me: (awkward silent pause)...um...nooo...we adopted him so I wasn't pregnant.
Man: (nervous laugh) oh sorry! I guess it was someone else then.  Congrats again! (and he walks away).

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't expect everyone to know our story but I just get a kick out of hearing people's comments.  And believe me, I do fully intend on taking the compliment without explanation when people tell me how good I look since i just had a baby.  I just couldn't do it at church ;)

So after church, we came home and took a few pictures because that is just what I do...so enjoy!

This was actually a yawn, not screaming.  Hunter is very expressive and I thought this one was cute.





This is the necklace that Stephanie and I have to symbolize our adoption.  I am going to give these pictures to her.


2 comments:

  1. Can I just say awesome to all those comments! Who does that, "Last I saw you you were out here." I guess you didn't recognize him. Well, glad you got some good laughs. I'm sure there's more coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are hilarious!!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete