Monday, October 3, 2011

Annoying things people say

I have noticed a few repeated comments that people say when you are about to have a baby or just had one.  These are the top few annoying comments that I get ALL the time.

Before Hunter was born, I got this one A LOT:
"You'd better get your sleep now because when the baby is born you won't sleep for years."

Who has a "sleep bank"  where they can store up extra sleep to use at a later date?  I sure don't.  So why does sleeping extra now, help me?  If anything it will make it harder that I got use to more sleep than normal and far less after the baby arrives!   Also, you can stop pointing out that I will get less sleep,  I am aware of that and really don't need any more reminders. 


"You should cherish every minute of him.  He is only little for such a short time."

Thank you for telling me that I should cherish every minute with my child.  I wasn't planning on doing so.  Now that you told me that I will be sure to cherish him 100% of the time, instead of the 85% I was planning on.  Are you kidding me??  We have waited five years to have a child...what makes you think that you need to tell me to cherish my child??  And once again, thank you for the reminder that he will not stay little for long.  That makes me feel so much better because I was under the illusion that he would be 8lbs for at least the first year.

"Just wait until he grows up to be a teenager- uggggh!!"

Again, really?  Why must you insist that Hunter is going to be a horrible teenager.  Guess what- that is 13 years from now so I would like to just worry about poopy diapers and feedings for now.   All teenagers aren't horrible.  I know quite a few great teens.  I am also aware that he will be a teenager.  You really don't have to point that one out.  If he didn't grow up to be a teenager we would have a bigger problem.  Thank you Debbie Downer.

I just have to think that the people to say these things don't mean any harm, but you don't have to always say the cliche' thing.  And don't worry, these are just thoughts and I don't actually say them.  So next time you see us, please don't say any of these phrases...you've been warned :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I love this post! It is so very true! We are already getting annoying comments and our baby is not even here yet! "How much did your baby cost?" "Is this taking longer than you thought it would?" "why are there so many other families picked?" "Is the agency doing their job?" aahhhhhh It's enought to make any person crazy! So, with that said, enjoy your day with your little person who is going to grow up so fast and be a horrible teenager but you will be to sleepy to realize it! hahaah (just kidding). Karen - NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!! We get the "wait till she's a teen," ALOT!!! I want to say- can't a three year old be VERY DIFFICULT TOO??? It's not just teens that are HARD!!! :) Can't wait to meet him!!!

    ReplyDelete